Tuesday 25 August 2009

Just Fire


When Royston asked me to co-choreograph the Firebird at the Stadttheater in Saarbrücken with him in March 2007, I did not have to think a single second. Although we had worked together already for more than 2 years in several projects, this was our first common Choreography. These years were a wonderful opportunity to learn through being Maldoom’s assistant to discover a different way of approaching dance. Even though my experience as a dancer, choreographer and workshop leader was already more than 15 years, Royston offered me the chance to learn so many new details about working in the dance field, especially with young people. I never did so much before. For the big honour of having the possibility to work with all those beautiful and talented young dancers here in Bucharest, I want to pay tribute to Royston who has given me such great trust, respect and support.

The Firebird can take place because Royston has done community dance for more than 30 years all over the planet as a pioneer, as a man with a deep vision inside himself and as an extremely political and responsible artist. In Saarbrücken I could of course not know that I would in 2009 be here, redoing our piece, 'the Firebird' with a hundred young people from all over Romania. And sometimes it feels like I get much more back than I am ever able to give to them. I am looking forward to Royston seeing the wonderful work the dancers are doing.

Doing so many projects, all are wonderful in one way or another. But I must say that such a mixed group is simply a huge pleasure; it shows me a beauty within human beings, just so hungry, going with me through so many challenges, open minded and being so hungry for something to achieve in their lives. It almost feels like coming home to that part within myself, who always wanted to share the experience I was able to receive in my mid twenties. After looking around for so many years to find something that I could fulfill in life, I was lucky to meet the great dancer and choreographer, James Saunders, in Cologne. From the first moment I longed to become a professional dancer and at the same time have the chance to share all this wonderful experience with other people later on in my life. But this is my own story.

After three weeks of working really hard on intensive training and choreography, I feel I do the right thing at the right moment, surrounded by a wonderful team. The focus often just goes to the leader of a project, forgetting all those without whom it would never be possible to do such a big production. There are so many who make it happen and who are already mentioned in the blog. All are working really hard as a supporting team, always being around, and not always having an easy life with the group. Thank you all so much for making it happen.


And there is Monique, the wonderful Monique - who went to Luxemburg in Autumn 2007 to convince us to come to Romania. Royston and I worked on his new piece “Exile”, by music from John Adams, called “Harmonielehre”. Monique enormous vision, strength and belief in our work surely is the basis that makes it all happen, right now. And Alexandra is just amazing too. How to thank them both?

Sitting now by a campfire in the countryside with time to think, rest and enjoy being away from the noise of the city. Stars lighting the sky, the moon creates an almost fairy tale atmosphere, crickets are filling the peaceful silence with their ongoing singing and my thoughts just fall into the flames, around the image of the fire itself. Looking at it night after night the last few weeks in the yard of the children’s home on concrete and on the weekends in the countryside, it becomes more than just a practical thing to cook on. It feels more like a metaphor of the piece’s name, showing that nothing stays the same, speaking about the many different fires within ourselves. Like the dancers, starting to feel the fire within them, the flames as an image, reaching for something, maybe for a new step in life, for a new challenge, for love, maybe for stillness or just a home.

Our present society tries to overcome a deep longing for speed, senseless noise and commercial useless stuff, which dampens hearts like a wet towel. My fire burns for the fire inside, for what we really want to achieve, where our dreams lead us, to a place where we can just be ourselves and share our gifts with others. And being here, I really do hope I am able to convey all this to these marvellous young people. So the fire we do have; now, lets see where the bird is off to…

Josef

No comments:

Post a Comment