Wednesday 30 April 2008

Children are potential artists



After dinner at the guesthouse, we meet again for the more theoretic part: Maldoom´s conception of his work, DVD samples of his projects, questions and answers about the essence of his philosophy and pedagogy:

"....Since my projects mostly include children from different backgrounds, there is a tendency to think that what I am doing is social work. It isn´t. There are some social side effects to dance. But the only thing that counts for me is: ART...

...Whenever I enter a room for a new project, I immediately consider the children as potential artists.I have an unshakable belief in their extraordinary potential.There is no such thing as "I cannot dance". In my whole career I have NEVER met anybody who could NOT dance......I like working with "unperfect bodies"......


...There is a tendency to put people into categories. The aim of my project is to abolish those categories. In dance, you do not know who is who. Everybody speaks the same language: dance is a language in touch with yourself, with others and with the environment...

The children´s problem is the view they have of themselves (being failures). Their value of themselves, of art and culture is limited by the attitude of adults towards them. Children need respect...

...The moment you enter the room they will know if they can trust you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment